Holiday shopping safety tips
Shopping malls can get crazy busy during the holiday season and if you are not careful, you can quickly become an easy target for enterprising criminals. So chomas, when you are out and about shopping this holiday, be sure to keep safety top of mind.
Let these holiday shopping safety tips be your guide:
- Shop during the day if possible. If you have to shop at night, go with family or friends.
- Always stay alert and be aware of your surroundings and people.
- Be wary of a stranger who strikes up a conversation with you. There are many scam artists who try to distract you so they can steal your belongings.
- Be wary when carrying your handbag, purse or wallet. Keep these items close to your body. Cash should always be carried in your front pocket. Don't let pickpockets get the better of you.
- Don't flash your cash. As far as possible take out the exact amount of money to pay for your goods. Avoid carrying large amounts of money on you. Rather use a credit card to make purchases if you can.
- Never let your credit card out of your sight when you are paying for goods at the till. Keep pin numbers safe. Always use your hand to cover the keypad on ATM or card machines when entering pin numbers.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewels. Dress casual and comfortable.
- Keep a close watch on your shopping bags and wallet. Never leave them unattended.
- Never buy more than you can carry. Go shopping with a friend to help you carry shopping bags.
- Be careful when taking your shopping bags to the car or on public transport.
- Report suspicious activity or people to mall or police security immediately. The most important thing is to always stay alert and aware of where you are and what you are doing. Criminals take advantage when you are not paying attention and are careless. May your holiday shopping be a festive and happy experience.
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No