Soweto Fashion Week Trends
Soweto Fashion Week 2014 unveiled delicious designer dresses that made us drool (and our purses shudder). But there's nothing stopping us from taking the trends and making them our own - for a fraction of the price.
The event is for established and up-and-coming designers to showcase their coveted designs. Twelve local talents brought their A-Game and launched their Autumn and Summer collections to a fashionable crowd between 28 May to 31 May 2014.
Organisers said their vision is to see these designers grow from their current level to a higher one. Mission accomplished!
Here are some of the trend and how to wear them:
- Monochrome is ever stylish – so don’t abandon black and white just yet.
- Sheer and leather go well together – don’t be scared to mix them.
- Lace and sheer inserts are still ever so feminine and cute. Add a twist to your old coat by wearing it with a skinny belt.
- High-waisted pants are the ultimate ‘go to’ piece to nail a sophisticated look.
- Shift dresses are still win for a classic look that can take you almost anywhere. The patterns and prints were undoubtedly bold. You could not miss the patterned pocket fashion and two-tone contrast patterns.
- African print is still a hit, so one more dress or skirt won’t hurt.
- Beaded statement necklaces were big on the accessories front.
Our hair is own crown, so we can’t leave it out. We spotted braided up-dos and big curly hair to take you through winter in style. If you’re daring, play around with colour and add some blonde or maroon strands.
Pick the trends you love and own them. For example, wear your black tights with a monochrome top underneath an unbotted coat which you can wear with a skinny belt if you want. Whatever the look, make sure it’s comfortable and you wear it with confidence.
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No