5 Reasons we love Maxwell
In celebration of Maxwell's visit to South Africa this December we're reminded of why love the American singer songwriter and neo-soul pioneer.
- He just gets better with age. He owes his good looks to his Haitian mother and Puerto Rican father
- He's not in it for the fame. Ten years ago he walked away from the spotlight to be a “regular” person. "I wanted to be in the background for a while, to watch things, observe people, hear music. I was just searching and looking for something that was real,” he revealed in a 2009 interview with Birmingham News.
- He's just like us.As a teenager, Maxwell had to financially support himself. He worked two jobs, as an employee in a movie theatre and as a waiter, to pay his school tuition and purchase musical instruments.
- He's in touch with his emotions. With lyrics like: "I had to set you free, to see clearly / the way that love can be when you are not with me / I had to leave, let love set you free to fly your pretty wings," (Pretty Wings from the album BLACK summer's night) it's hard not to fall in love with his music.
- He's mysterious. It's hard to find any gossip about the man (and trust us, we've tried). “I'm not big on reality shows, when they know what toothbrush you use and what soap; all those things that are commonplace now in terms of how people sort of see celebrities. I feel like I'm real old-school that way. I love mystique,” he told CNN.
Catch Maxwell Thursday 5 December at Cape Town's Grandwest and Saturday 7 December 2013 at the Coca-Cola Dome. Tickets from Computicket. Follow him on Twitter.
Image credit: Instagram
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No