Is it possible for men to be feminists?
Feminism is speaking out on women’s rights. It is a social movement aimed at making sure that women receive equal opportunities as men. Women began the feminist movement in the 1960’s because they believed that access to education, career and freedom of expression was offered to men only. Today men are also speaking out about women and girls rights to equal opportunities and freedom to make decisions about their lives. Men have become more outspoken about the issues facing females around the world. It is great that men have joined women in the fight for equality. Here is why it is possible for men to be feminists.
Men as feminists
Men can definitely be feminists. The definition of a feminist is simply: “someone who believes that men and women deserve equal rights”. Although, the feminist movement was started by a group of women, men can be helpful in achieving equal rights for women as well. When men and boys speak out against gender inequality, other men can listen too. In fact, some men have used their social media platforms to stand up for women and girls' rights. The belief that men are weak when they speak against sexism, is outdated.
Ways that men can show their support for feminism
- Men and boys can help girls stay in school. They can do this by donating pads to organisations that strive to improve young girls’ lives.
- Create awareness of gender stereotyping and sexism. Men should speak up against these issues by talking about how they affect women and girls.
- Men and boys can help to educate others about women’s rights. If you hear someone making an incorrect statement about women’s rights, you can correct them.
- Men and boys can call their friends and family out on ideas and opinions that are against women and girls’ rights. When we call out our problematic friends and family, we are letting them know that their behaviour is not acceptable.
- Men and boys can check their thoughts about women. It is important to recognise problematic thoughts and to change them. We behave according to how we think.
Being a feminist is not about bashing men or believing that women are more superior. It’s also not about making a big noise about women’s rights every hour of the day. It’s as simple as checking your own problematic ideas and opinions, and challenging thoughts and ideals that lead to gender stereotyping and sexism. Men and women who stand up and promote the equality of women are feminists.
Can you think of men in your life that are feminists? Comment below.
Remember, if you or a friend need advice or help, you can contact me here on Ask Choma, send me a Facebook Message, a Twitter DM, or a WhatsApp Message (071 172 3657)
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No