Part-time study survival tips
Balancing a job with part-time studies is one of the most challenging obstacles you’ll ever have to face. Here are some tips to survive studying and working at the same time.
At some point, studying part time seemed like a good idea. You can get an education while earning a salary. But now that exam time is upon you, you’re starting to regret taking on the extra work load and wondering just how you’ll survive, let alone pass. Just breathe and take these tips from those who’ve lived to tell the tale:
- Make friends with fellow classmates. Even if your course is online or distance learning, it’s always a good idea to keep in contact with the rest of your class. Have a WhatsApp group or forum where you can support each other and ask questions.
- Make sure you know ahead of time exactly when and where exams or tests are. We all know that some institutions are more reliable than others with keeping the lines of communication open but try to get as much info out of them as possible.
- Sacrifice something. You can’t do it all and will kill yourself trying. While it’s important to still lead an active and healthy life there are some thing you will have to say goodbye to – just while you complete your studies - like watching series, going out clubbing or sleeping in until 12.
- Let your employer know that you are studying part time. They will be more understanding of your red eyes and when you need to take study leave.
- Give yourself as much time as possible. Study a module a month so that you don’t have to get through everything at the last minute.
- Attend workshops or lectures if you can. This will help you make sense of your course material.
- Create a time table – on your phone, in your office cubical or bedroom wall. Include study dates, work and social commitments so you can plan your life accordingly.
- Keep your goals in mind. Remember why you signed up for your studies in the first place and how all the hard work and stress will be worth it when pass.
Good luck to all the chomas studying, working and hustling. Whatever you do, believe in yourself. You got this!
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No