5 Things you need to know about Kendrick Lamar
Clever word play, quick beats and honest accounts of his childhood have made the 26-year-old American MC hip hop’s new royalty. All hail King Kendrick.
- Lamar was a straight A Student at Centennial High School in Compton, California.
- Watching fellow West Side rappers Dr.Dre and 2Pac shoot the video for a 1996 remix of California Love inspired him Lamar to pursue his dream of rapping.
- He recorded his first couple of mixtapes under the name K.Dot before using his birth name, which his mother chose after singer Eddie Kendricks.
- His guest spot on Big Sean’s ‘Control’ has him taking a dig at rappers like Drake, J.Cole and even Big Sean himself.
- After winning Best Album at the 2014 Grammys Macklemore apologised to Kendrick Lamar via Instagram saying: “You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have. It’s weird and sucks that I robbed you.”
Catch him if you can at Miller Boomtown Presents Kendrick Lamar, 7 Feb at the Wavehouse in Durban, 8 Feb at Joburg Stadium and 9 Feb at the Bellville Velodrome in Cape Town. Tickets available from Computicket.
Image credit: Twitter
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No