Signs of alcohol poisoning
A lot of people enjoy alcohol without knowing the dangers that come with it, besides getting you drunk, alcohol can have life threatening consequences, like alcohol poisoning. How do you know if you’ve got alcohol poisoning? Here are some of the symptoms.
What is alcohol poisoning?
Alcohol poisoning happens when someone has had too much to drink and the alcohol levels in their body become poisonous. This happens because alcohol is actually a poison itself, so when taken in large amounts it can be deadly.
Your body can only process a small amount of alcohol at a time, so it is no surprise that when you drink a lot in a short space of time, the amount of alcohol in the blood can stop the body from working properly. Rather avoid binge drinking altogether.
Can anyone get alcohol poisoning?
Anyone can get alcohol poisoning, but it may be easier for some people to get it, based on their age, sex, size, weight, the rate at which they have been drinking, and whether they have had something to eat. General health and any other drugs and/or meds they may have taken can also contribute to getting alcohol poisoning.
Symptoms of alcohol poisoning
How can you tell if you have alcohol poisoning? These are some of the symptoms you need to look out for:
Loss of balance
Irregular or slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute)
Blue-tinged or pale skin
Low body temperature (hypothermia)
Stupor – when someone’s conscious but unresponsive
Unconsciousness (passing out)
What to do if you think someone has alcohol poisoning?
If you suspect that someone has alcohol poisoning, the best thing to do is to contact a medical professional or call an ambulance. While you wait for the ambulance, you can make sure that you keep them awake and sitting up, give them some water (if they can drink it), lay them on their side if they’ve passed out, and check if they’re breathing properly, keep them warm, and lastly stay with them and monitor their symptoms.
While there is nothing wrong with enjoying a drink or two every now and then, it’s very important to make sure that you drink responsibly, which means avoiding binge drinking, staying hydrated and making sure you have eaten. All of these things will reduce the chances of ever getting alcohol poisoning and keep you safe and healthy over the holidays.
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No